Hibiscus is relatively unknown in the UK and Europe, but as soon as you find yourself in Mexico, Thailand or West Africa, you will find this vibrant drink in every cafe and roadside stop. Pairing Hibiscus with Ginger is a perfect match, making this cocktail a versatile beverage for all seasons.
Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Tag your successes on Instagram, @silkroaddistillers, and we'll make sure we share them.
Time: 45 minutes
Best for: Making in big batches for friends
2L of water
200g White Sugar
400ml - Silk Road White Spiced Rum
1 cup of dried Hibiscus (we get ours from the local health store)
25ml - Lime Juice
1cm Sliced Ginger
Dash of Soda
1. Boil water and sugar in a large pan and simmer until all the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the dried hibiscus and ginger, drop the temperature and allow to steep for 15/20 minutes, it should quickly take on a deep red colour. (Watch out for your clothes!)
3. Strain out the hibiscus and ginger, add the lime juice and allow the liquid to cool.
4. Add 200ml of hibiscus tea, 50ml of rum and ice to the shaker, and vigorously shake for 5-10 seconds. (Until a frost forms on the metal of the shaker)
5. Serve the tea on ice in a tall glass, topped with a little bit of soda. Garnish with a dried lime.
Buy a bottle: